Friday, August 26, 2011

FINAL STOP: LAKE COMO

So we've come to the end of the trip.  Like any other really long trip, the last couple of days were met with mixed emotions.  Sadness because this fabulous trip was coming to an end....back to work, back to school, back to the daily grind.  But happiness because we were going home to our families, friends, puppies, and functioning hairdryers.

Our final stop was Lake Como...Home of the newly single, George Clooney.  That didn't get much of a reaction from the players, but I know of a couple of female staff members who put an extra couple of minutes into their hair and makeup routine that first morning in Como.  Moi included.

We arrived in Como mid-day and had the rest of the day to eat and explore.  I don't think I have been to a more beautiful place then Como, Italy........

This is a for real picture Bonnie took. This is what it really looked like from our hotel.



It was seriously like something out of a picture book.  Our hotel was located right along the edge of the water and directly in the middle of a square filled with bars, restaurants and shops. It was the perfect location. 

We got up early the next morning and boarded a private tour boat that took us around the lake and we got to see all of the famous celebrity's humble abodes:


George Clooney's Mansion.


Keena on the boat tour.
During the boat tour we got a call that we wouldn't be playing our fourth and final game that night.  The team we were supposed to play cancelled on us. They offered to bring the team we had beat by over 100 points but Bonnie and the assistants decided it wasn't worth the risk of injury so we just extended out time in Como.  Dang, I was hoping for one last chance to see my cute officials.  We got off the boat and got to do a little more, you guessed it, shopping. Como is known for it's silk so I picked up a little prezie for my Dad and a bracelet for me.....like I needed one of those.  How do you say impulse buy in Italian?That night the team that punked us earlier in the day paid for a lavish, six course meal for our team. Since it was the last night of the trip, it was perfect timing. We all got dressed up and walked over to the restaurant. They seated us outside at a huge long table and served us family style.  The girls got up and gave a little speech thanking Bonnie and the staff for the trip. Then we presented our tour guide that had spent the last 10 days shuffling us around with a bottle of Limoncello, an Italian alcohol.  We toasted (water for the girls, wine for the staff, Jack Daniels for me) eachother and our upcoming school year and season. There is a lot of pressure on us this year, but I think this trip was a HUGE step forward with our team chemisty.  Here are a few pics from the last night........................





Como Recap:
Shopping: Good..Cheap silk but, besides ties, I don't really have any use for silk. I'm not really a scarf kinda girl.
Food:  Nothing Special...The final dinner was great, but I feel like we could have gotten that at any city we stayed in.
Hotel: Beautiful. Old. Perfect location.  Shower worked. Hairdryer stunk.

So that wraps up my trip to Italy in a blogshell!  Obviously, I had the trip of a lifetime and I am SO thankful and appreciative of KU for sending us.  There are a lot of expectations on us this year but I feel like everyone is up to the task. LATE NIGHT 2011 is only two short months away! Lord help us.

Smooches,

THE DARLING DIVA

No comments:

Post a Comment