Tuesday, August 23, 2011

FIRST STOP: ROME

So I have decided that the best way to document my trip is to break it down into the cities we visited, in the order we visited them.  There is no way I could fit the whole trip into just one post and this way I will have a better chance not to leave anything out.  So here we go......................

ROME

Our first stop on "The Tour" was Rome.  We survived our 22 hours of traveling and got directly off the plane onto a bus that took us on our first sightseeing mission.  Our travel company wanted to keep us awake so we could try and conquer our jet lag. Lets just say, we were one tired bunch by the time we arrived at The Coliseum. But we fought through our fatique, grabbed some caffine, and slapped a smile on our faces. Hey, we're only in Rome once, right?!?!?! The Coliseum was really impressive.  To think that they built that so many years ago without any of the major machines we have today....Just their bare hands.  We had a fantastic tour guide who knew all the detailed history and fun facts about it.  The girls got a pic with the gladiators that are hanging out around the outside. I decided against getting my picture with the fellas.....It was all a little too "USC" for me:)   After the tour they allowed us to go check in our hotel and get some rest. 
It was, for sure, the best nap I have ever had in my life. HA!





The second day we were in Rome we visited the Vatican, St. Peter's Basicalla, and the Sistine Chapel.  As a lifelong Catholic and parochial school graduate, I was especially excited to visit the Vatican. With so much tradition and history, it was hard to take it all in. One interesting thing I learned is that the Vatican is it's own city, Vatican City,  complete with a post office and police force. Also, the Pope has an apartment in Vatican City. I'm not sure where I thought he lived. I guess I just assumed he lived IN THE VATICAN CHURCH. But, now that I think about it, it makes more sense he has an apartment. Huh, who knew?  Some of us stayed later and attended mass which was beautiful. I couldn't really understand it, since it was in SPANISH, but I took Holy Communion and that is universal.
.

 Our third day in Rome we had free time in the morning (hello, shopping) and then a game that night. It was perfect timing for a little rest since we had basically been going since the minute we got off the plane. I was especially glad we had some free time because I got to explore the city and discovered probably my most favorite monument of the whole trip, The Trevi Fountain. It was spectacular. Legend says that if you throw three coins into the fountain and make three wishes, all three wishes will be granted. You better believe I took my three coins and made my three wishes.....Fingers crossed that they come true!!!  After the Trevi Fountain, it was off to the game. The competition was okay, but we were just more skilled and better conditioned then they were in the end.  We ended up winning by a bunch, which made for happy coaches. Happy coaches= happy trip :)



Me, right before my coin toss. Shield your eyes from the outfit and hair. Not the most flattering, but the most comfortable.


The girlies, after the first game.

So that was basically Rome in a blogshell.  Below are a couple more pics from Rome that I thought were fun:


One of our freshman, Bunny (Catherine), celebrated her 18th birthday in Rome.  Here she is with some of her birthday loot.


I took this pic for my bro and SIL...I thought the cop cars here were hilarious. I mean, how can you take these guys seriously?!?!?!?!


The officals for our first game. SO cute. Why can't we get any of these guys for our conference games!?!?! I would pay WAY more attention......................



Recap Rome:
Food:  The food was OK- I stuck mainly to the "caprese salad" which is tomatos and fresh mozzerell drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinergrette.  Yum Yum.
Shopping: Rome was probaly my least favorite shopping city. There weren't too many shops that fit my budget! HA!
Hotel: Our hotel was nice. It was def one of the newer ones we stayed in. But our shower didn't work correctly and our hairdryer was busted.  Two MAJOR negatives in my book:) 

Up next: Florence! The adventure continues.........

Smooches,

THE DARLING DIVA

No comments:

Post a Comment