Thursday, June 9, 2011

CAMP IS A FOUR LETTER WORD

It's JUNE and, around here, that means CAMP season.  To most people on the outside, camp is a wonderful thing.  Kids playing, meeting new friends, meeting our players (who are the counselors) and honing their basketball skills. Parents enjoy some free time.  But to those of us who actually run the camps, CAMP is a four letter word.  Bonnie Henrickson Basketball Camp starts today. You can smell it in the air.  Brooke has her registration "bible" out, the coaches have their drills and itineraries tucked in their pocket, the managers have the stations set up and Cappy (our fearless camp director)  has her economy size bottle of excederine-migranie in her backpack.  Everything is running smoothly so far except it is  HOT HOT HOT here and one of our gyms is not air conditioned.  I have fielded no less then 1,000 phone calls from camp parents throughout the year.  Let me tell you, it's not as easy as it sounds....... Do you supervise the kids in the dorm? (No, we let them run wild and free. If they haven't learned their survival skills by 10 years old, this isn't the camp for them.)  It says on the camp forms that they will need baskteball shoes. My child just has sneakers. Will those be ok? (No, unless your 12 year old has an authentic pair of Adidas basketball shoes, she will not be allowed at camp.)  Do you provide water for the campers? (Nope, Bonnie has a strict rule against water.  We like to teach toughness at our camp.)  I mean, SERIOUSLY?!?!

This first camp we run is our Elite Camp which is actually my favorite because we use it as a huge recruiting tool. I won't go into the boring "industry explanation" of what that means....The "Amanda explination" is that we get to have coaches socials every night........YES!!!!!  Bonnie and Cappy let me run those. I mean, they have me on staff for a reason people!  Tonight is hanging out at Bonnie's and watching the NBA Finals.  Tomorrow night is Johnny's Tavern. I talked Bonnie into an "open tab" so things could get interesting. 

In all seriousness though, I do really enjoy camp time.  The kids, for the most part, are cute and it's fun to see our players interacting with them.  It really is more of a relaxed atmosphere in the office too.  Except for Cappy, who has already taken half her bottle of Excedrine! 



Today I'm suppoused to be in the camp-issued polo and khakis but Cappy knows not to hold her breath on that one....I mean, what if there is a cute and single dad?

I'm off to registration!

Smooches,

THE DARLING DIVA

No comments:

Post a Comment